Friday, June 14, 2013

Making flax flowers

We made flax flowers using harakeke from our nature trail. When you make your first flower from harakeke, you need to give it away. It was really tricky when Mrs Blair taught us. We learnt another way that was just as beautiful but much easier to make. You can try it too by watching the video below. We love sharing our learning with you.

We learnt lots of things about how we collect the flax and other protocols that Māori use when working with flax.

Do you know how to make flax flowers? How do you make yours?


12 comments:

  1. Man, Weaving is like hardcore mode in minecraft
    Ryan Room 12

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello rm12
    I really like those flax flowers they look lots of fun
    Who thought of the idea because its a really good one

    Ethan room 10

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how he does weaveing hes almost as good as me doing flowers its really hard doing weaveing you have to practise for ages and ages yawn id rather play minecraft


    tyrone room12

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Room 12!
    Making a Flax flower must be really fun.
    It looks really interesting.
    You are really fast at making them.
    Well done:-)

    Hemani Room 16 Parkvale School

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow awesome flax flower that mast of took you a long time and I like it.

    here is a link to my blog if you want to cheek it out. http://pridenikitahj.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is such an awesome blog post rm 12!
    That flower really looked cool:)
    I couldn't quite get how to make it. You must have practiced for ages to get it all layered up like that!
    Well Done that was fantastic!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome work room 12 ,
    I like how you have showed us how to do the flax flower.
    I want to try it out.
    I looks pretty hard.
    How many have you made before.
    Well done.
    Here is a link to my blog, please comment.
    http://prideolivia.blogspot.co.nz/
    By Olivia from Parkvale School.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great video Room 12! At the end it looked great! I'd like to make one but I need flax.
    Check out my blog: http://pridecameronp.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so fantastic. It looks really fun to do when your doing nothing. .I really want to try that someday.But you said it was really hard. So I will try and do my best some how. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow room 12!
    I would love to try and make one of those flowers one day.
    Was it hard learning how to make those flowers?
    How many of you made the flowers?
    Did you display them?
    Well done:-)

    P.S: Here is a link to my blog. Feel free to comment.
    http://pridehannahh.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing now I know how to make a flax flower.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool room 12 Amazing work Now I know how to make a flax flower.Here is my blog http://prideemmam.blogspot.co.nz/.

    ReplyDelete