Thursday, October 6, 2011

Skyping around the world

This morning some of us came to school at 8am to take part in a mystery skype. We had to guess where in the world they were. Mrs Blair used Skype Education to find them. Click on the image below to take you there.


We had a couple of clues but it did not help us very much. They had an American flag in the background and they had what we thought were American accents. Erin used to live in America so she guessed that they might be from Texas but they said "no!" We found out their nearest mountains and rivers to help us get closer to guessing where they might be. In the end they told us they were from a rural place North of Lexington, Kentucky. It wasn't on our map but I bet it is a special place.

We learnt about what the weather is like at the moment for them and we told them about our sunny days here. Listen carefully to their teacher Mrs Rowland telling us about it.


 

They thought we might have small classes here because they couldn't see us. Lots of us come on the school bus and hadn't got to school yet.


We were excited to meet them all. One of our highlights from the call was watching one of the students solve a rubric cube in half a minute!

 We hope to see you again soon when we have some questions for you. We look forward to commenting on your blog. 

Thanks for staying after school to see us.

6 comments:

  1. How exciting! Well worth getting to school extra early. I'm guessing it was Mrs Rowland's class from Rowan County Middle School in Morehead, Kentucky. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all.
    I'm jess and in our classroom (year5rc)we also love to skype to other people around the globe. this year we talked to a class in newzealand on our international feast day. We love to ask questions and answer questions too! Have fun skyping!

    jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    What an exciting morning for you!Its really fun to be able to see what they do at school in America as well. Its also amazing to be able to complete a whole rubix cube in half a minute, WOW!We have had a Skype call to another classroom in New Zealand and that was fun too, but to think you were chatting with some one in America, that would be so much fun! It is worth while coming to school at 8am!

    From Sarah at http://sarah4evr.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear room12 HES,

    That's sounds exciting to Skype some people you don't know. I have two questions, did anyone in your class know where that place was or know what's it like there before you Skyped them? & If my class were to skype you would you know where we were if I gave you some clues?

    If you want to take the Challenge here are some clues:

    1. We are the home of Vegemite
    2. There is a song called 'The Land Down Under' where they are singing about our country
    3. Our flag is blue, red and white with 6 stars

    Comment on this comment if you can guess.

    Good luck for future mystery Skype's,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora Year 5 and 6

    I am from Year5rc one of your quad blogging buddies well there isn't really 4 of us any more there's ten.I came to your blog because I haven't been here before and at the corner of my eye I found a post skyping around the world and I knew I had to comment on it.This is because in my year we have skyped around the world and it was really fun. We skyped around the world on our international feast day (which was my birthday in April). Well in year 5 we all dressed up in clothes from the country we have been studying. (I was studing Mexico)

    If I was in your class I would really want to come early because it sounds like your teacher has a few surprises in plan.I would of so not of known where they were in America because I'm not very good at that type of stuff.

    Hannah5456
    P.S I am a New Zealander (Go All Blacks) I am crossing my fingers that they win the world cup What is your favourite player? Mine is Dan Carter. If you are interested here is my blog URL- http://hannah5456.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks intresting it would be amazing if loads ok people used skype but i don@t really like skype that much but it is intresting that you skype people.

    ReplyDelete