When Edie spent time at the University of Waikato for her science course she tested some rock from Putikitiki to see if it could be matched to volcanic rock elsewhere in New Zealand...It turns out it comes from the Taupo/Cape Kidnappers eruption areas and is about 1 million years old!!!!
We had fun imagining how a piece of rock from so far away ended up on Putikitiki...
Perhaps the exposion was so large it was blasted here
Perhaps after the eruption it was washed down the river by a tsunami
Perhaps a bird carried it in it's feathers and it fell out above Putikitiki
Or perhaps a volcanologist picked it up from the first eruption and put it in their pocket, then came to visit Hamilton East and it fell out ...
Here are two of the digital stories, come to our classroom to see cartoons, dioramas and more!!
A play by Harper and Fine
Rocky - Can you feel that, rockstar
Rockstar - No what are you on about.
Rocky - I think there might be an eruption.
Rockstar - No, there is not going to be an eruption.
Rocky - Oh no can you feel the rumble?.
Rockstar - Oh yeah, I can feel it right now. I was wrong.
Rocky - No matter what, best friends forever.
Rockstar - We have to stick together no matter what.
*Rockstar drifts of*
*The Volcano starts bubbling*
Rockstar - Come on Rocky, hurry up.
Rocky - Where are you Rockstar ?
Rockstar - I’m near the pole, where are you ?
Rocky - I am near, by the way is that tyrannosaurus?.
*Then the explosion happened*
Rockstar - You are near the tyrannosaurus
. Because I can hear the ‘Roar’.
Rocky - Its opening its mouth. I'm in its mouth... help!!
Tyrannosaurus - yummy oh no, I'm about to sneeze, ah ah chuu.
Rockstar - I hope you were next to me, Rocky.
Rocky - Wait, where am I.
Rockstar - Rocky, is that you talking.
Rocky - Yeah, is that you Rockstar.
Rockstar - Yep, that's me.
tyrannosaurus - Ohhh, I’m sad because I have no food to eat.
Rockstar - I feel sad for him. Should we help him?
Rocky - Ummm , I don’t know, help him.
Rockstar - Ok.
*1 millon years later*
Edie - ‘So this is the rock I found last year it's about one million years old it was from the Kidnappers eruptions’
Harper - That’s a creepy name for a place...
And that is how the rock came to Hamilton East school
No comments:
Post a Comment